Sunday, June 23, 2013

Mini-Outreach - Week 9

Mini-Outreach to the
Flathead Indian Reservation
in Northwest Montana
Jun 4-7 2013


My only contact with the Native American is through the Hollywood movies.  And as a child, I did play ‘Cowboys and Indians’.  Apart from these, I have no further knowledge.  Therefore, to have a mini-outreach in our FCD to the Flathead Indian Reservation in Northwest Montana and learned about the Salish and Kootenai Native American Tribes is truly once in my lifetime experience.

My highlight was to meet Elder Small Salmon, from the Salish Tribe.  He shared that today, there left only a few full-blooded Salish Natives.  As such, the Salish language and culture would soon become extinct.  Elder Small Salmon is one of the few left. He went on to share that he gave up his acting career in Hollywood to teach the Salish language and culture to the next generation.  He now teaches the Salish language and culture to about 60 children at the Nkwusm Salish Language Institute.  My training has taught me to respect and honor the cultures of all Nations. As I sat listening to Elder Small Salmon, I could feel his passion to see his language, culture, people and land lived on for many generations. There is much to learn from his dedication and commitment.  He has given up a small ambition in the Hollywood scene for a much bigger vision.  That is - raised up generations of his people where their language, culture, stories and legends will live on forever.  Here is a quote taken from the Nkwusm Salish Language Institute handout, “When you lose your language, you lose the soul of your culture because you are forever disconnected from the wisdom of your ancestors.”

I come from a little island called Singapore.  Singapore is a multiracial and multicultural country.  We have a unique language called ‘Singlish’.  It’s colloquial English. We can easily identify each other in the crowd when ‘Singlish’ is spoken.  This is the power of the language of the people.  It’s our identity as a people of the Nation. We belong to each other.  Singaporeans are proud of our language and culture.  Shouldn’t it be the same for all others.

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone. Am here to testify how I got my loan from Mr. Pedro after I applied several times from various loan lenders who promised to help but they never gave me the loan. Until a friend of mine introduced me to Mr.Pedro Jerome promised to help me and indeed he did as he promised without any form of delay.I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until I met Mr. Pedro, who indeed helped with the loan and changed my belief. I don't know if you are in any way in need of a genuine and urgent loan, Be free to contact Mr. Pedro via WhatsApp +1-8632310632 and his email: pedroloanss@gmail.com thank you.

    ReplyDelete